Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Arcade Fire and Spike Jonze

Now, I am the first to admit I am bit dated with this...  but can someone, anyone, explain Spike Jonze's interpretation of Arcade Fire's 'The Suburbs(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HklplrJxEOY)"???  I have seen the video at least a dozen times in the past week and I am more confused each time.

I get the disenchanted youth.  I understand the suburbs as police state/not as good as it seems.  Shit, I lived all that.  Nothing groundbreaking there.  But what of the fight scene???  That is where I get lost.  Obviously a trust was broken, but am I to guess as to what?  Am I trying to hard to find literal meaning?  Should I move on and just marvel at the beauty and art??

Typically, Mr. Jonze makes straightforward classics, like Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobTBlCvUU)" and The Beastie Boys "Sabotage(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE)."  With "The Suburbs" he has taken a rather simple theme and turned it upside down.  And I am left feeling dumb for not catching on.  And it isn't that I am a big dummy either.  I knew Kevin Spacey was Keyser Soze pretty early on.

Just need some closure on why the boy gets such a beatdown in this video.  Please help.  I will take any and all explanations.

Suburban Man Notices:


Winter:
We get it, you are not done yet.  But, as the calendar inches closer to April, maybe that's it for the snow???  Not wanting delayed openings in late March and am not loving the prospects of a snow day tomorrow.  I need to get back to work and cannot think of taking my daughter on sales calls, to Englewood Cliffs of all places!!!  If you need to announce your presence with authority I give you up until March 15th.  Anything after that and you just come off as needy, and frankly, a bit of a douche.  After the hurting you put on most Americans this year I would hope you could just end it and come again sometime in December.  First pitch is next week and I am supposed to have outdoor softball practices.   Highly unlikely with snow covering the infield.  Enough already.  Never has Spring been more needed.  Pretty please, with a cherry on top, go the fuck away would ya???

Granola Moms:
It is great that you have given up your career to stay home with your child.  Love the unshowered, J Crew rollneck wearing casual look you have mastered.  Great your 2 year old knows the word sarcastic and is perusing the New York Times with you.  There will come a time when your child is gone.  And that time might be sooner than you think.  Then what?  You will be left with a husband who cannot stand you and an identity only defined through a child looking to distance themself from you.  It is imperative you realize you have an identity.  That is a tough pill to swallow, I know.  I struggle with the same thing.    We will agree that parenting is an amazing challenge.  I understand that we are responsible for teaching right and wrong.  In many ways we lay the groundwork for what our children will believe, achieve and accomplish.  But, during no time, should these responsibilities alter how we feel and behave to ourselves.  So, granola mom, go out and get drunk once and a while.  Maybe see an r-rated movie with some of your girlfriends.  And no, not other granola moms you met at church play-group time.  I am talking about a friend from your old office.  Maybe the girl 10 years younger without children.  Live a little and accept you are a living, breathing organism.  That might also include a sexual act that does not lead to childbirth.

See how everybody wins.

;-)






No comments:

Post a Comment