Sunday, June 26, 2011

The weekend that was, the week ahead...

Finally able to sit in front of the computer.  First time in about 60 hours.  Summer hours in full effect.  Translation:  weekends are HARD work.

You could argue 10-12 hours watching 10 and under softball is not really work.  True.  Today we left the house at 8am and arrived back home around 4pm.  A nice eye opener for sure.  Our town competed in a local 7 team tournament.  Certainly my first exposure to the "travel" summer softball world.  We played the host team Friday night.  Their town has 2 teams.  Seems like they pull from about 10 districts.  Each girl was every bit an adult.  Gave all the parents plenty of time to joke about it.

"I think this pitcher missed opening pitch because she was at the DMV getting her permit."

"I saw the first baseman in the ladies room and asked her to borrow a tampon."

"The left fielder is going to prom tonight."

You get the picture.  Girls were big and talented.  They brought 4 pitchers to the game Friday and each one threw gas.  You better believe we got no hit.  Makes me look a little better touting our rec league to develop pitchers.  We have 1 very good one.  Not fair to her one bit.

Naturally we angered their squad when we played them again earlier today.   Our team pitched another girl who finds the plate but with little speed.  They groaned and protested not so quietly.  "We can't hit slow pitchers!!!"

Well we can't hit fast ones!!!

We played 4 games and lost them all.  2 of them were very winnable.  3-3 yesterday afternoon after 6 in game 2.  Turns out there is a tie breaker in softball.  Put the girl who makes last out at 2nd base.  No outs.  Begin.

I guess this is about the same as starting at the 25 in College Football overtime.  You guessed it...  they got 4 and we didn't score.

In the late afternoon consolation game we watched an 11-4 lead disappear in the last inning.  12-11.  Start the car.

Amazingly I take away plenty of positives.  And not just with the youngest, smallest and only one who has my blood on the team.  Although, after looking overmatched and out of her league Friday night, she played very well today.  One of the Amazons that struck her out Friday night had more of a battle today. She got her tiny body around on a solid fastball and bunted it down the 1st base line nearly beating out a single.  Later in the game she was just behind a ball grounding out to 1st base.  Baby steps.  I was told we did not get a hit until close to 70 batters over the weekend.  If my 55 pound, 4' tall peanut is gonna stand in against Jennie Finch and not p$#@ her pants I claim it as a victory.  I have no doubt I would have gone hitless against some of these girls.

I was only half kidding when I asked to see their birth certificates.

No rest for the weary either.  1st regular season game tomorrow, another on Wednesday, and practices each other night.  The first full day of camp begins tomorrow too.  Staring right in the face of:  leave house at 8am each day and arrive back around 10pm.

Thinkin lots of take out, and little time to write.  I have an actual writing assignment too.  Close to getting this nonsense I carry on about in actual papers.  Editor has asked me to do a writing sample.

"Can't you just take a look at the several posts I have done over the past 6 months" I asked.

"Well, I have read a few of them and they are good for blogging.  Lots of incomplete sentences and perhaps too long.  You would have to work under the constraints of 500 words or less."  she calmly replied.

"Oh.  Um, yeah, I guess I can do that."

What of the links though?  Will this translate to print?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Worthy?  Able?

Should I be writing that right now?  By not writing it now am I sabotaging myself?  And what should that weekly column be about?  Over and over I tell myself "if you write it they will read it."

Still dreaming.

Good stuff below:

Still very much on the Decemberists this week.  New album is full of gems but this one still stands out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSOzcEQjiE

Come the war
Come the avarice
Come the war
Come hell

Come attrition
Come the reek of bones
Come attrition
Come hell

This is why
Why we fight
Why we lie awake
And this is why
This is why we fight

When we die
We will die
With our arms unbound

And this is why
This is why
Why we fight
Come hell

Bride of quiet
Bride of all unquiet things
Bride of quiet
Bride of hell

Come the archers
Come the infantry
Come the archers
Of hell

This is why
Why we fight
Why we lie awake
This is why
This is why we fight

And when we die
We will die
With our arms unbound
And this is why
This is why we fight
Come hell
Come hell

This is why
Why we fight
Why we lie awake
This is why
This is why we fight

When we die
We will die with our arms unbound
And this is why
This is why we fight

So come to me
Come to me now
Lay your arms around me
And this is why
This is why
We fight
Come hell
Come hell
Come hell
Come hell



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABYnqp-bxvg


Feist "1,2,3,4"  


An oldie but goody for sure.  Had not heard it in a while until it came up during this writing session.  Feist is strong, funny and engaging.  This is feel good pop at it's best and the video is outstanding.  Try not to smile.  Man you are jaded.


A lesser known Feist song that also happens to kick ass:  "Mushaboom" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYF0qU5WSew




Finally, came across this if anyone wants a closer look at the band Caveman I have been raving about for months.  Here is a performance from the show they did at CBGB's/John Varvatos.  "Easy Water"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T46GZpqLsa0&feature=related  Shows how they transform a mens retail store into concert hall too.  Neat.


May the work week be kind to you my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment